Thursday, January 13, 2011

VEGAN RECIPES AT THE WRITER'S WELL

VEGAN RECIPES- in my quest to eat healthier this decade I started to first withdrawal from all the bad eating habits I have fallen into over the years, take my system through the slow process of cleansing. That is one of my goals and also prepares myself with the knowledge of how to prepare dishes for guests that are vegan, visiting The Writer’s Well, for “Sunday Dinners”.  If you have a favorite recipe you can add them to the comments, and share them with our blog guest.
"This morning I was craving my favorite banana bread, but I have no bananas, there is ice on the road, and I have no plans on venturing outdoors. So I went into the cabinet to see what I can do to make a vegan apple bread, here are the online recipes that I'm going to try."


Vegan Banana Bread

1/3 cup low-fat soy milk
1 tsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. flax meal
5 Tbsp. water
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1 cup of sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup mashed bananas (about two very ripe medium bananas)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Mix soy milk with vinegar; set aside.
3. Heat water for 30 seconds in the microwave.
4. Mix ground flax seeds with hot water; set aside.
5. Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
6. Mix bananas, applesauce, soy milk-vinegar mixture, and flax seed mixture in a medium mixing bowl.
7. Combine the banana mixture with the large bowl containing dry ingredients, and stir well.
8. Add chopped pecans and mix well again.
9. Pour into a greased 8″ square pan or loaf pan.
10. Bake in 325 degree oven for 1 hour (8″ square pan) to 1 hour and 15 minutes (loaf pan), or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.



Banana-Date-Walnut Muffins
Recipe by: Susan Voisin

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup natural sugar (I used the large crystal, unbleached kind)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/4 cups)
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/3 cup natural apple sauce
2 tbsp. agave nectar
1/4 cup chopped dates (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 and spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Sift together the flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, mash the banana with the sugar, soy milk, apple sauce, and agave nectar.

Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Add in the dates and walnuts, and pour into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve to everyone who came running toward the aroma of fresh-baked banana muffins!

Makes 12 muffins