Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Arugula & Pear Salad with a Balsamic & Sherry Vinaigrette

 Arugula and pear Salad with a Balsamic and Sherry Vinaigrette

Last month, while at the Nugget Market in Sacramento, California, I picked up some recipe cards that caught my attention. They looked delicious, and I decided to try them all to discover new foods and salads as I continue my journey of managing diabetes through a healthy diet. Since 2022, I have managed to lose 40 pounds in a year, and my A1C is at a normal level of 5.6.  It has not been without sacrifice I am not a vegan, I still eat protein and am mindful of not being anemic.


This simple salad of peppery arugula, sweet pears, fresh goat cheese, and candied pecans gets even better with a flavorful homemade vinaigrette.

Ingredients
Vinaigrette:
1 small shallot, minced
½ teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
½ tablespoon honey (omit and use a substitute)
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil

Salad:
1 pear
5 ounces of baby arugula
1 cup candied pecans
Vinaigrette, to taste
4 ounces chèvre
Preparation
To make the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a work bowl and whisk. Whisk in olive oil to emulsify.

For the salad, cut a pear in half, remove the core, and slice it into thin wedges. Combine pear wedges, arugula, and pecans in a work bowl. Toss with vinaigrette to taste and arrange on serving dishes. Top with crumbled chèvre.

Extra dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.